weird...

Saturday, June 27, 2009

So it is currently around 12:30 a.m. in New Zealand on sunday morning. My flight leaves Christchurch in a matter of hours (10 to be exact). It feels very odd to no longer be measuring my time left here in months, weeks, or days. I've been anxious to get home for a little while now, but that doesn't make leaving behind all my friends and experiences that I've made here. It feels like the last semester really flew by. Come to think of it, I can say that for the last few semesters of my collegiate career. I guess that just solidifies the point I've been hinting at all semester, life comes at you fast and if you don't take everything in stride you're going to miss quite a few important things. I've been scrambling the past few days trying to make time for everyone and to say my last goodbyes. It's very overwhelming and I know I'm going to forget a few things I've been meaning to say and goodbyes that I've been meaning to give.

I guess the weirdest part about this is that I don't know when (if ever) I'll be back in this country. That makes these goodbyes more permanent than I would like. We're down to three of five people living our flat as of now and it has been a weird experience to say goodbye to people as they leave knowing that I have no idea when I'll see them again. I've always coped with goodbyes knowing that I'd see that person again in the future whether it be days, weeks, or months from now, but never have I dealt with a scenario where I'd be saying goodbye to friends not knowing if I'd ever see them again. It's a extremely odd emotion to be feeling to say the least.

I've seen some amazing things during my time here and met some incredible people that I'll never forget. I guess when it comes down to it that's all you can really hope for from an experience like this. It's given me a pretty grand perspective on things and what does and does not matter in the grand scheme of things. There are things worth worrying about and protecting and other things that are best left alone and let go. I'm sad to be leaving, but at the time I recognize that it is the right time. I've done most of the things I've set out to do during my time here, experienced the things I wanted to, had a great time all around, but it's time to pack up and head out. With all my belongings safely packed into suitcases my room looks like a skeleton of what it once was. It serves as a reminder that even though this country has left its mark on me, I'll leave just as swiftly as I came. I can only hope to have made some lasting relationships with people who will hold fond memories of me. I suppose that's probably true of most events in life, you'll leave just as quick as you came with less impact that you would've hoped, the only truly lasting remnants of the time you spend in a place are the interpersonal experiences you have with other people.

I'm running out of things to say here in my last New Zealand blog entry so I'll hang up the towel soon. I've got a few hours left in this country and I suppose I'll go out and spend them in the best manner that I can, hanging out with friends and enjoying the dwindling moments of their company. I hope everything is well with the people who are reading this, I'm sure I'll see all of you soon. I'll write one or two entries when I return to the country and let you know how I'm adjusting, but until then I bid you g'day.

0 comments:

Post a Comment