writer's blog (it's a pun on writer's block if you didn't catch that)

Monday, May 25, 2009

Hello faithful readers. I'm back after taking a week break from updating. Although I can't say I've got any more to say because of it. The pics in this entry are from the (I think) third week of our trip where we went canyoning a little bit outside of Auckland. Now for those of you who don't really know what canyoning is (as I didn't before I went) it's basically putting a wetsuit and a helmet on and jumping off of cliffs, repelling down waterfalls, and sliding down fast moving streams. Also, on a side note, wet suits have got to be some of the most uncomfortable apparel every invented (and this is coming from a person who wear awkwardly tight shirts and jeans). They make me feel like I'm trapped in a tight sponge that smells of mildew and sweat (yeah, they're that good).
Anyway, canyoning was a lot of fun. It was pretty grey and rained the whole time we were out, but it doesn't really matter when you're in a wetsuit jumping into and wading through water the whole time your out. Our guide was named Neil and I'm pretty sure he was crazy. The five of us would spend about 40 minute total repelling down a waterfall and he would just proceed to jump off of it like it was not a big deal at all. However, I've found that I oftentimes think most kiwis are crazy in one way or another, so I guess he's pretty standard considering his country of residence.
I must admit that I'm not the most comfortable person when it comes to heights. Now jumping off of a miniature cliff into a pool of water is not that big of a deal to me, but repelling down a large waterfall was a bit anxiety producing to me. To all of you who love to go climbing and are used to repelling and belaying and all of that then I commend you, but I don't think it's for me. After repelling down one waterfall I was pretty sure I could manage okay (even though I was far from comfortable with it). However, the next (and last) waterfall we were supposed to repel down proved a bit trickier for me. I don't find it particular natural to lean all my weight back when the only thing holding me from falling down a large drop is a rope and some metal. So the last waterfall we went two at a time (on different ropes but next to each other). I was doing alright to begin with but about halfway down the waterfall I managed to lose my footing, because you know rocks covered in moss get kind of slippery when it's raining and there's water running over them. So I lost my footing and kind of crashed body first into the rocks. That would've been fine in and of itself, but knowing me I have to outdo myself and I proceeded to unsuccessful get back into a position that was comfortable to repel down in and about every three steps would do the exact same thing, slip and crash in the rocks (I guess that's one reason why they make wetsuits padded). It helps further when you're trying to avoid crashing into a friend repelling next to you all the while two of your friends are at the bottom laughing at you, not so much elegantly repel down the waterfall as stumble your way down holding onto a rope every time you lose footing and slam into a rock wall. Anyway that's pretty much all I have to say about the canyoning experience. Aside from a few scrapes and bruises it actually was really fun and I would recommend it if you ever get a chance.
Aside from recollecting a little bit about a portion of our road trip I don't have a whole lot to update you all on, unfortunately. I have a presentation and paper due at the end of this week. A final next week, a take home test the week after that, then a week to study and my last two finals. Then I have six days off until I'm on a plane back home. I really feel like I'm in a wind down mode right now. I don't have a frantic desire to go out and have a last hurrah and see more of the country or go out and live it up every night. I'm really more in the mood to just relax the last few weeks, get work done and finish up this semester. I've been feeling a little spacey and removed lately, but I'm not entirely sure why that is, maybe a lack of sufficient sleep or a lot of work building up to the last few weeks, or maybe some combination of those two things. I'm looking forward to getting home, but I don't think I'm giving enough consideration to the amount I'll miss the people and things I've seen here. I guess that'll come more after I've left and returned home.
Also I think part of me is a little scared about going home. I know it'll only have been five months away, but I feel like a lot has changed in five months. Plus in about 10 more they'll be even more change when friends start graduating and moving to different parts of the country, getting on with their lives and whatnot. I think a part of me always wants to stay in the present even if it's not entirely where I want to be, just because at least the passing of time is one less thing to worry about. I was walking outside yesterday and it kind of hit that I've grown up quite a bit while I've been over here (and no that's not in reference to my awesome manly beard, although it should be), but I think oftentimes the mentality I just mentioned gets me too caught up in trying to stay in one place and not realizing where's I've been or how far I've drifted from where I started. I guess it's normal to worry a bit about how other people have changed if I think I've changed over the past few months, but only time will tell if that's valid or not. Alright well I feel like I've gone off rambling a bit to compensate for me not having much to write for this entry so I'm going to call it quits here. Hopefully I'll come back next week with a bit more of a spark.

0 comments:

Post a Comment